|Ability Requirements:||Strength 12|
|Races Allowed:||Hengeyokai, Human, Spirit Folk|
Kensai menas "sword saint" or "sword master" and is uaually applied to characters who have perfected the art of fighting with the sword. In the Oriental Adventures game this is broadened to include almost any type of weapon or fighting skill. Thus, there may be kensai who use halberds, kensai who use swords, kensai wo use unarmed fighting styles, etc. The player is allowed to choose the kensai character's special weapon. In all cases, it is the kensai's aim to become the perfect master of his weapon. For the man and weapon to become one, acting on a single thought, is the ultimate goal of a kensai.
To achieve this the kensai must master his weapon and himself, and must study and learn other arts. He must practice daily with his weapon, condition his body and purify his spirit though meditation and ordeal. He must acquire proficiencies in different peacful arts as well as be absolutely dedicated to his goal.
A Kensai must purchase Proficiency and "Weapon of Choice" for a specific weapon or Martial Art style.
Kensai gain double XP for defeating another Kensai in a duel. They only gain 1/2 normal XP if a situation/encounter was overcome using a weapon other than their Weapon of Choice.
Kensai do not receive the normal Warrior Weapon Proficiency CPs. They only receive 2 CPs during generation specifically for Weapon Proficiencies.
Kensai have 75 character points to spend on their abilities. Any unspent poinst can be used to acquire non weapon proficiencies or saved for use during the game. A standard kensai spends his character points to acquire the abilities of Damage Ki, Natural Armor Class, Initiave Bonus, meditation, two handed fighting (10), followers, immunity, Psycic Deul, Suprise Bonus, and whirlwind attack.
- 1d12 Hit Dice (10): Instead of rolling a 10-sided dice to determine initial hitpoints and how many new hit points the kensai receives at each level, a 12-sided dice is rolled instead.
- Armor Class bonus (10): Character gains +1 every 3 levels to their armor class.
- Automatic Mastery (10): Expert/Specialist at 1st; Master at 3rd; High Master at 8th; Grand Master at 10th; the Kensai must practice for at least 2 hours per day to retain this ability.
- Birth Table roll (10): Character gets to use the Birth Table.
- Cause Fear (10): At 7th level the kensai may cause fear. The appearance of the kensai can cause fear in all creatures with 1 HD or less (saving throw vs. Breath weapon is allowed). The kensai can control this power, turning it on and off (as it were) at will. Any characters or creatures struck by fear flee from the kensai or surrender to him, depending on the circumstances. A creature that passes its saving throw is immune to this effect for the remainder of the encounter.
- Damage Ki (15): Character may choose that a hit causes maximum damage, once per day per level. This must be announced before "To Hit" roll is made.
- Followers (5): At ninth level the character receives 1d6 1st level Kensai as followers.
- Immunity (5): Character is immune to fear of any type.
- Increased movement (5): A kensai's base movement score is 15 rather than 12.
- Initiative Bonus (5): Character gains +1 to initiave every 5 levels.
- Meditation (5): At 3rd level the character receives meditation. Meditation is a state of deep concentration. By meditating, the kensai focuses and regains his energies. One hour of uninterrupted meditation is as restful as two hours of sleep. While meditating, the kensai is oblivious to hunger, thirst, heat, and cold. He is still conscious and aware of his surroundings, however, so he does not suffer any penalties on suprise or initiative dice rolls.
- Natural Armor Class (10): Character calculats Armor class by (23-Dex or Balance); no bonus AC from Balance.
- Psychic Duels (5): Character receives a +2 bonus to psychic duels.
- Saving Throw Bonus (10): Character recieves a +1 to all saving throws.
- Surprised bonus (5): At 6th level the character receives a +2 to surprised bonus.
- Two-Handed Fighting (10): At 7th level character receives no penalty for two-weapon combat.
- Two-Handed Fighteing (15): As above, except at 4th level.
- Whirlwind Attack (10): Character may strike all opponents within 10' radius once on one round from 10th lvl; character cannot use any other Ki during that day.
- Whirlwind Attack (15): Same as above, except at 9th level.
- Whirlwind Attack (20): Same as above, except at 7th level.
- Cannot use magical "Weapon of Choice" (5): Because of his dedication to perfecting his combat art, the kensai must follow certain restrictions. He can never use a magical "Weapon of Choice", since such a weapon is not a true measure of his skill.
Copyright © 1998-2006 Phillip Riley
Last Updated Sat Aug 11, 2007